There are tons of mistakes that a project manager may make while working on a project. But here are
the ten most common mistakes made by a project manager and by taking care of these will help us avoid the same mistakes during our projects.
- Not clearly understanding how or making sure the project is in line with the objectives of the authority.
- Fails to manage the expectations of stakeholders during the project.
- Fails to develop a realistic timetable which includes work, resource allocation and estimates.
- Lack of effective communication plan leading to confusion regarding who should do what and who shouldn’t do what and failing in communicating consistently and efficiently with all the stakeholders involved.
- Failing in applying the change control procedures to effectively manage the scope of the project.
- Poor implementation of the project plan.
- Failure to identify risks and developing suitable responses for those risks.
- Poor allocation of resources especially for the critical ones in the project.
- The poor administration and management of the project team members.
- Not leading from the front by setting an example for other team members and by failing in motivating the project team members.
I am sure we are making a lot of other mistakes too but if we take care of the above listed common mistakes then we can reduce the risk of project failures.
One Small Request:
Being a Project Management guy, I know how little time we have to play around on the internet. But if you have found this information useful then please share it to your colleague so that more people can get benefit from it. If you have any question then comment below and I am glad to take it.
Further Reads: Project Manager Interview Questions